A Dynamic Design Community
William McDonough + Partners is an internationally-recognized architecture, community design and consulting firm operating around the world. A values-driven company, we offer an exciting work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
We are continuously looking for talented staff at all levels of experience, who share our commitment to design excellence and sustainability. Because our work is uniquely diverse in scale and project type, design versatility and critical thinking are highly valued.
Thank you for your interest in employment at William McDonough + Partners. We are currently accepting and actively reviewing applications for the following positions.
ARCHITECTURAL RESEARCH LEAD
Come join us in positively transforming the design of the built environment! William McDonough and Partners is an internationally recognized architecture, community design and consulting firm operating around the world. Grounded in the Cradle to Cradle(R) philosophy developed by our founder William McDonough, our work promotes a positive vision of the future, based upon the belief that many of the environmental problems we face are, at root, design challenges.
We are currently seeking an Architectural Research Lead to support our work in integrating Cradle to Cradle DesignTM concepts in the built environment. Working directly with various project teams and firm leadership in a dynamic working environment, you will help to support, promote, evolve and continuously improve the firm’s expertise in implementing Cradle to Cradle Design strategies.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Assist with the firm’s initiatives and projects around the integration of Cradle to Cradle-inspired design and Cradle to Cradle materials for the built environment
- Research will include technical research, forward-thinking materials and methods research, advanced research on sustainability issues around energy, water, material, health + wellness, indoor air quality, daylighting, social fairness, circular economy etc.
- Development of sustainability resources
- Provide support on firmwide sustainability initiatives
- Sustainable strategy identification and goal setting, third-party certification documentation (C2C, WELL, LEED etc), climate analysis and project performance analysis
- Actively stay up to date with current trends and industry research related to sustainability, circular economy / design
- Update and maintain materials database
- Assist with specifications writing for integration of Cradle to Cradle materials
- Communicate and coordinate with materials assessors
- Produce effective visualizations and illustrations of concepts, content, and data for presentation to clients, public authorities and partners
- Contribute to internal training and education
- Support the development of tools, reports, white papers, case studies, blog posts or other related materials
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Sustainability, Environmental Design, Architecture, Interior Design or a related field
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years of experience in the sustainability field
- Passion for sustainable design
- Knowledge of sustainable design strategies, material selection and technologies required
- Concentration on sustainability during undergrad or graduate program preferred
- Ability to work independently and on multiple tasks / projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent graphic presentation skills
- Ability to present in front of large groups
- Proficiency with BIM / Revit, Adobe Creative Suite
- Intellectual curiosity, eagerness to engage with others, willingness to contribute to a healthy workplace culture
- Experience with LEED, WELL, Cradle to Cradle preferred
- LEED AP and/or WELL AP preferred
- Experience with energy/daylighting analysis – EnergyPlus, Ladybug/Honeybee, Sefaira, Insight 360 etc
We are a values-driven company and offer an exciting and collaborative working environment with competitive salaries that are commensurate with level of experience. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive benefits package, paid holidays and vacations and professional development.
Cradle to Cradle(R) is a registered trademark of MBDC, LLC.
Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading WM+P RESEARCH and the following information:
- a completed application form (http://www.mcdonoughpartners.
- a letter of interest/cover letter
- a resume/cv
- portfolio, writing, research, analysis, graphic samples
Files must be in PDF file format and limited to a total of 10mb or less.
Please do not send hard copies. Please also note that we are not able to respond to telephone inquiries.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants must have legal U.S. work status.
We are seeking talented and creative Project Architects with a minimum 3 years of professional experience to join our studio in Charlottesville, VA. We are currently working on challenging and exciting projects around the world that range from small scale housing prototypes to innovative workplace design and multi family mixed use projects to large scale urban design and masterplanning.
Ideal candidates will have strong design conceptualization, visualization and execution skills, a passion for innovation, high motivation, and the ability to be self-directed and to thrive in a fast paced, highly collaborative and high energy creative team based environment.
Additionally, qualified candidates will have a high fluency and previous professional experience in the use of Autodesk Revit for project development and documentation. Previous experience and proficiency in building and environmental analysis tools such as Ecotect or Sefeira is valued.
Candidates must also excel in digital modeling and representation techniques and have well-developed organizational and verbal, written, and visual / graphic communication skills.
Successful candidates will work closely with other team members and be responsible for Project Development and Documentation through all Design phases.
A degree in architecture from an accredited architectural program is required.
Licensed Architects and LEED AP preferred but not required.
Please send your inquiries to email@example.com with the materials listed below (see How to Submit an Application) with the subject heading WM+P PA-CVL.
We are seeking talented and creative Junior Designers with 1-3 years of professional experience to join our studio in Charlottesville, VA.
Working collaboratively at all stages of the design process with project teams, highly motivated Designers will work on and contribute to the design and realization of unique and innovative architectural projects at a variety of scales and typologies. We are currently working on challenging and exciting projects around the world that range from small scale housing prototypes to innovative workplace design and multi family mixed use projects to large scale urban design and masterplanning.
- Degree in Architecture from an accredited program is required.
- Experience and proficiency using Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Suite and digital modeling platforms (Rhino / SketchUp)
- Skilled in physical model building including operational knowledge of 3d printers.
- Strong organizational skills, well developed verbal, written, and visual / graphic communication skills.
- Strong design, analytical and problem solving skills, a passion for discovery and constant improvement.
- Willingness to take on resonsibility and grow within a highly collaborative, fast paced design community.
- An interest in sustainable practices and making the world a better place through Design.
Please send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org with the materials listed below (see How to Submit an Application) with the subject heading WM+P DES-CVL.
How to Submit an Application
All applications must include a completed copy of our employment application, a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and work samples. Please email these in a PDF format with total file not to exceed 10 mb. Only complete application materials will be considered and will be retained for three months.
Please do not send hardcopies or disks. Online portfolio links will not be reviewed. Please also note that we are not able to respond to telephone inquiries. Unfortunately, due to the high number of inquiries we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
William McDonough + Partners is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email all employment inquiries to email@example.com.